Originally conceived by Dr. Robert Whalen to design effective exercise regimens for NASA’s astronauts, Differential Air Pressure (DAP) technology has been adapted by AlterG for use in training and rehabilitation. Cleared by the FDA in 2008, the AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill is a medical device that can be used for:
- Rehabilitation of lower extremity injuries
- Treatment of neurological conditions
- Weight reduction
- Aerobic conditioning
- General training to combat the diseases of aging
Unweighting is achieved in the AlterG by using air in a pressure-controlled chamber to gently lift the user. Precise calibration using our patented technology allows for very specific unweighting from 100-20% of the users body weight in 1% increments. Something no other unweighting modality can do.
Clinical studies show that the AlterG can help decrease ground reaction forces in walking and running. The restoration of normal gait mechanics is paramount to optimal recovery and can be accelerated by its patented unweighting technology.
- Allow for the protection of healing tissue
- Encourage range of motion
- Earlier initiation of closed-kinetic chain activity.
- Prevent disuse atrophy
- Encourages more rapid return of motor control